Sunday, June 10, 2018

"A Traveler By Heart" : Anthony Bourdain

There's nothing more adventurous than travel. Tony, you will be remembered. I will never forget the nights when my family and I would seat ourselves in front of our TV and eat crab with absolutely NO dignity. We didn't care if it would tarnish our respect. We ate with pride like hugry cavemen. And what did we watch as we teared apart our poor prey? Well, it was you. My parents didn't care if your show advised parental discretion. They wanted us to watch the culture and the difference decorated in your TV shows. I admired the way you were never scared to try new things (not just food). In the Tijuana episode, you were so happy when roasted crickets were served in front of you. You called them "The BEST Side Dish." How could a sophisticated travel host enjoy crickets? That's the magic you put in us. That gleam in your eyes as you set eyes upon the food served in front of you. I could see that you DIDN'T take food for granted. And it wasn't just about food. How you related it with general life. How you spoke about the excitement of new things. I know it must've been hard, not seeing your family. I know that life wasnt the best for you. How you were repeatedly pressured to stop what you LOVED doing. What you worked so hard for. How COULD you just push it away after one suggestion. This is your life's work. You had so much more time. So much more time to be with your family. So much more time to explore this amazing world. So much more time to LIVE. But you chose to throw it away. You chose to toss it away like a failed dish. Why? You worked SO hard to make this dish. And in the end YOU'RE the one who tosses it away. I used to be a hater of suicide. The thought of it made my blood boil. How could someone just take their own life in hopes of it becoming better? I was SHOCKED to hear that you did this? You're not just affecting yourself.  "Think about Me" and fans like us. Think about your family. Your loving wife. Your 11 year old daughter! You'll never get to see her graduate. You'll never hold her arm as she walks down the white aisle. But what's the use of it now?! The job's done! You got what you wanted. Or maybe you didn't want it. It doesn't matter anymore. But you are still my inspiration. You don't need to worry anymore. You have made your mark in this world. Hopefully, you try new things; wherever you are. You were always like our 6th family member. I remember sitting in front of the TV: My parents had glasses filled with beer. And as my dad slowly slunk into the world of drunk-ness, he would slip this one really old joke that never failed to make us laugh. He would start speaking about the title, "Parts Unknown." "Look at this guy! He should've thought of a more careful name instead of Parts Unknown!", he would joke as he sipped his drink. He had the dream to take you to Madurai, South India. he wanted you to see the culture and art of this South Indian Treat. But he never got to. Tony, did you WANT an entire nation to mourn you?! Because we ARE mourning! We want you to come back. I wish i could take a time machine and stop your death. I wish Eric sat with you in that hotel room. I wish you guys drunkenly cried about death, instead of actually experiencing it. I wish i was there to tell you NOT to do this! To tell you that you have an entire world of inspired people. I wish you were alive. I wanted to MEET you in person! But now i will never get to do that. I want you to know that i will MAKE my future kids watch your series. I wanted ANTHONY BOURDAIN to be in their blood. I want them to follow in your footsteps. Your shows made my family. We are travel folk. When we went to the Bahamas, we tasted conch for the FIRST TIME at a restaraunt, while everyone ate at the cruise ship. We didnt care if it would food poison us or kill us. It was the idea of trying something new. And that is only because of YOU! I dont know where you are now, and I honestly think you shouldn't have commited suicide. You had many more years. However you will always be in our hearts forever. Your love of travel will always stay in my next generations to come. An author once said "The greatest risk is not taking one". And Tony, You took so many! May you Rest In Peace, Anthony Bourdain! I will always be "HUNGRY FOR MORE!".


I'm a 13 year old girl Manushree Nawin, who is grief - stricken at the news of the famous Traveler, Writer, Chef's death. This article is only a sliver of my love for Anthony Bourdain. I'm mad at him, but I don't know how to feel anymore. Anthony Bourdain will be a "Truly Exceptional Human being" that will hopefully be remembered for all of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment