Wednesday, December 25, 2019

“Class Dismissed!”

The words escape from my mouth before I can think of how to say them. I can hear the students grumbling as they grab their books. Sometimes, I wish one of them would come to talk to me. I watch them as they file out, one by one, like impatient ants. There goes Auburn. The quiet one of the bunch. Never speaks. Never smiles. She wears that same old expression on her face. Then again, she is the only one who understands any of the material we go over. I like that about her. Not a word but manages to get good grades. 

I wonder what her home life is like. I wonder if she's happy. All I wish is to fascinate these children by helping them learn the wonders of Physics. God, it sounds boring even to me. No use being vivacious when I don’t want to teach the material. No one thinks to ask about how I’m doing. The only time these students talk to me is if I mess up their grades. Over 180 kids. You should try grading that many papers in one night. I wish these students knew that my grandpa passed away last week. I wish I could talk to them. But no, I’m just a teacher who grades their work and supposedly prepares them for the future, when I know that 70% of these children will work in a 9-5 office job. Except for Auburn. She’ll go on to do amazing things.

No comments:

Post a Comment